City Skies Fest Day 2

The first session began on Saturday at 1pm with Drachemusik (Charles Shriner) and was easily the afternoon's standout. His set included revisited tracks from his last two Cd's, as well as some new material. I had met Charles at the Electro-Music 08 festival and was blown away by his set then, this past weekend's set was no exception.

The evening session began with my compadre Mark Mahoney that delivered an outstanding set of reverb drenched deep space atmospherics and glitched out rhythmic passages that really set the bar high for the rest of the evening that included myself, Richard Layneheart, Richard Devine and Duet for Lapsteel and Theremin. Devine's set was close to an hour long of experimental electronics composed of all modular gear, which was a treat as he generally performs with his trusted Elektron set up and laptop(s).

We made it home with no problems which was great considering that just west of us, Nashville received a year's worth of rain in just one day. Some of the performers at the festival are from Nashville, and our thoughts were going out them as we navigated our way home and avoided the rain whilst enjoying the music of Drachemusik and Judy Chicago.

All in all this was a great festival despite zero sales, complete lack of local attendance and a tight stage footprint. I played a set of new material which seems to have went over well despite a predominant dose of space/ambient music that penetrated the weekend. Don't get me wrong, I love me some ambient, obviously as I've composed my share of it, but it was 8 o'clock when I took the stage, and I was ready to drop some hell on that room, and did so gracefully. Thanks again to Jim, Kavarna and Stillstream for a wonderful weekend.

I'll be posting pics/video/audio soon.

No comments: